We are Continuing Education of the Bar (CEB), providing innovative resources and practice-oriented tools that help attorneys better serve their clients. From online legal research and MCLE to forms solutions and print books, CEB strives to make high-quality legal information accessible to everyone, from rural solo practices to large law firms.
Founded in 1947 CEB is one of California’s oldest and most prestigious legal information and continuing legal education providers. CEB publishes judgments of California case law, practical guidance for attorneys and, CLE all in a variety of practice areas and formats e.g. print, online and, in-person.
The Content Attorney is responsible for partnering with subject matter experts and conducting legal research and analysis in order to develop engaging legal content in multiple formats. Working in creative Practice Area teams, the Content Attorney will develop ideas and create new content in multiple formats, repurpose existing content for multiple formats, recruit contributors and speakers, participate in social networking and bar association activities, and assist with the development of Marketing copy. Additionally, this position will have the opportunity to focus on one or more specific areas: Publications, Learning, Team Leadership, Reporter Editors-In-Chief, New Content Development, Bar Association Outreach, and Current Awareness/Legal Developments Response.
This role is fully remote with limited travel requirements for team and company meetings. Pacific time zone is preferred.
- Ensure all assigned content products have up-to-date legal content.
- Conduct thorough detailed evaluation of content in a variety of formats and in close cooperation with authors and subject matter experts. Strive to achieve content that is correct, clear, complete, current, legal, and consistent.
- Develop and maintain effective working relationships with outside contributors, including recruiting and developing a fresh and satisfied group of expert contributors who make positive contributions to CEB content.
- Edit materials received from outside contributors as necessary.
- Use own expertise to create some content in-house.
- Ensure content development follows accepted processes and standards focused on the target audience for optimal product success in the market.
- Develop and maintain control of the content with all authors. Manage outside contributors to ensure adherence to all deadlines.
- Edit legal content received from authors, rewriting and reorganizing as necessary. Incorporate legal research to emphasize practice-orientation and accessibility.
- Recruit new authors as necessary and appropriate.
- Create proposals for all new ideas including: customer market, time for development, and potential cost.
- As assigned, and in collaboration with Product and Platform department, recruit outside contributors and speakers to create new content.
- Develop and maintain robust outside contributor network.
- Recruit external contributors who are subject matter experts to draft original content and review in-house drafted content.
- Provide meaningful feedback to contributors on content to ensure material in a variety of practice areas is of high quality, original, correct, clear, complete, current, and addresses customer needs.
- Use legal research, analysis, and writing skills as well as legal experience to create original Practitioner content in a variety of practice areas. This includes drafting How-To Guides, Standard Documents, Charts & Checklists, and Strategy Notes. Content should include practice tips and examples.
- Develop Practitioner workflow frameworks for a variety of practice areas, identifying workflow sections and individual content items.
- Edit, finalize, and publish in-house drafted and external contributor Practitioner content.
- Ensure publishing deadlines are met for content created in-house and externally drafted content.
- Assist with other content development as needed.
- Draft original DailyNews articles covering current legal developments.
- Participate in Practice Area Team meetings. Develop ideas for new content: print, programs, digital.
- Engage in tailored collaborative information sharing with other teams, including Product and Sales as needed.
- J.D. and admitted to State Bar of California or other jurisdiction.
- Minimum of 2+ years of related law practice experience or 2+ years of legal editing experience.
- Excellent writing and editing skills; demonstrated command of the English language
- Excellent project management skills, including supervision of internal staff and resources and effective management of relations with contributors and co-workers
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks in fast-paced, deadline-driven environment
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Highly organized and self-motivated with demonstrated initiative and creativity.
- Experience and in-depth knowledge of current legal practice and the challenges faced by legal practitioners
- Excellent problem solving and time management skills.
- Ability to be flexible and proactive.
- Proficient in standard personal computer applications, such as MS Office Suite (Microsoft Word, Outlook, Excel), Westlaw, Lexis, and cite checking programs. Knowledgeable in social media platforms.
How to apply:
Follow the link above and search for REQ # 39306
Salary Range $90,000- $105,000